When I first heard about the autoimmune protocol, it felt like too much to handle.
The ins and outs.
I felt overwhelmed.
Fast forward almost a year and a half later, and the autoimmune protocol feels like second nature to me.
I am often asked for tips on how to start and live the autoimmune protocol.
My Biggest AIP Tip
My biggest autoimmune protocol (AIP) tip: know your why.
To be effective, your why must come from you!
Knowing my why is the biggest reason I’ve succeeded on the AIP.
I never thought I could live the way I live now.
Getting crystal clear on my why made all the difference in the world.
So, why did I personally start the autoimmune protocol?
Honestly, I found myself at my rock bottom, health wise, when I started the autoimmune protocol.
My overarching why? To get my life back.
However, “to get my life back” was not specific enough.
I had to dig deeper.
At my worst, I thought of what I wanted most.
WHY did I want to get my life back?
WHAT did that even look like?
My answers included:
- To be able to get out of bed.
- To be able to walk around the block faster than a snail’s pace.
- To be able to climb the stairs in my house without stopping to rest.
- To cheer for my son at his baseball games.
- To snowboard with my husband and kids.
- To take my daughter to rock climbing competitions.
- To go on date night with my husband and not fall asleep on the way home.
- To travel to Bora Bora with my husband.
- To show others it can be done…it IS possible to live a beautiful life and fulfill dreams even when you feel like your life is over and will never be the same again.
- To prove to my endocrinologist that nutrition and lifestyle DO matter even though he told me otherwise.
- And more…over time, I dreamed new dreams and found new whys!
Ironically, I feel freer than I’ve felt in years, thanks to the autoimmune protocol.
Free from horrible autoimmune symptoms.
Free from cravings.
Free from caffeine addiction.
Free from wondering how much worse my symptoms will get.
Free to live my life on my terms.
Free from feeling like a victim of my autoimmune disease.
My health is not perfect, and I still experience flares from time to time, but overhauling my nutrition and lifestyle choices through the autoimmune protocol gave me my life back, and more.
What are YOUR whys?
Are you crystal clear on why you want to start or be successful on the autoimmune protocol?
Do you have your list of whys?
If not, I encourage you to sit down and make your list.
It can be short. It can be long. It can change over time.
If you are struggling to stick to the autoimmune protocol, write your list down on a 3×5 card and carry it with you.
When you are at a party and feel tempted to eat pizza, soda, cake, and ice cream, pull out your list and look at your reasons.
When you feel tempted to stop going on walks, pull out your list and remember WHY you need to move your body.
When you feel too tired to cook and fast food seems like a good idea, look at your list and go make your healthy meal.
At the end of a hard day, YOUR whys are going to be what get you through!
When you feel alone on your journey, YOUR whys are going to keep you company!
When you feel burnt out and want to quit, YOUR whys are going to remind you to put one foot in front of the other and keep going!
YOUR reasons are what matter.
Get crystal clear on them, and hold tight.
You got this!
I am cheering you on and sending you SO much love and support!
I believe in you.
Other Blog Posts You May Enjoy
FREE Back to Basics Guide to the Autoimmune Protocol (AIP)
My Top Autoimmune Protocol (AIP) Blog Posts
Breaking the Autoimmune Protocol (AIP) Stereotype
Do I REALLY Eat According to the Autoimmune Protocol (AIP) ALL the Time?
You’re welcome! Hugs!